The Big Gay Frat House hasn't thrown any of our own parties lately, but that doesn't mean we've given up our mission to promote San Francisco's gay nightlife. We love the annual "best of" polls done by the Bay Guardian, SF Weekly and other publications, but there aren't enough gay categories on them. So we decided to create our own awards.
We created our own poll, posted here on the blog, and sent out messages to our friends on Facebook as well as the more than one thousand members on our email list. The results therefore may not necessarily reflect each of our individual opinions (quite a lot of them really surprised us, actually), but are rather those of our friends and supporters who bothered to vote. If you would like to vote next year, sign up for our mailing list. If you are a bar or restaurant owner, or a club promoter, be sure to rally your troops next year.
Also, we preemptively disqualified the BGFH from any awards. That didn't stop some voters from trying, however.
Here are the top winners for each category. You can click on each category to see commentary about the winner and the runners-up. You can also check out the winners by venue -- quite a lot of places proved to be popular, but not always the most popular.
Winners of the 2010 Best of the Gay Awards
- Favorite Bar or Club: Toad Hall
- Favorite Place to Go Dancing: Badlands
- Favorite Weekly Club Night or Party: Booty Call Wednesdays at QBar
- Favorite Monthly Club Event: Wet and Wild at Club 8
- Favorite Place to Play Pool: The Cafe
- Favorite Place for Go-Go Dancers: The Cafe
- Best Weekday Happy Hour: Toad Hall
- Favorite Fancy Cocktail: The Juanita MORE! at QBar
- Best Place to Hang Out With Friends: Toad Hall
- Best Place to Meet Someone New: Badlands
- Favorite Place for Coffee or Tea: Spike's Coffees and Teas
- Favorite Casual Dining Establishment: Harvey's
- Favorite Place for Elegant Dining: 2223
- Favorite Place to Go to Brunch: Barracuda
- Favorite Place to Take a Date: Bed
- Favorite "Risque" Place, Party, or Event: All Male Strip Show at Deco Lounge
- Favorite Beach: Ocean Beach
- Favorite Annual Street Fair or Festival: Folsom Street Fair
- Favorite Social Services Nonprofit: Magnet
- Favorite LGBT Artistic Organization: SF Boylesque
- Party, Event, or Club That No Longer Exists That You Miss the Most: Lucky Pierre at The Stud
Again, these were voted on by people on our mailing list, and we may have differing opinions in some cases. Sign up to vote next year, and lobby your friends, too!